Thursday, February 16, 2017

Decisions

One and a half years ago I made the decision of requesting a leave from my job and in October 2015 I started my 5 months leave through Southeast Asia. What I wanted back then was to have the opportunity of traveling longer, not to feel the rush of a holiday and therefore be able to enjoy every place as much as possible, with the possibility of extending or shorten my stay as I wanted, mostly depending on the places' vibes, the people I met and the way I felt in every moment. I seldom felt lonely, I am a person that feels right with my own company, but it is true that I was alone in rare occasions. I met beautiful people and heard great stories about their lives and travels.
It felt so good that I wanted to stay longer but it was not possible as in my job they were waiting for me. At the end of those 5 months I was waiting for that feeling to come, where I started missing my family and friends and my life back home, but it never came and I went back to Madrid feeling so miserable.
I think it took me more than 2 months to accept my life back at home, it started to be a bit better when the good weather arrived :).
At the end of summer I decided to go on holiday for 3 weeks, again on my own, to Sri Lanka. I felt, somehow, that it was the continuation of my trip, the extension that I wasn't greanted back then.
In that trip I didn't feel the same way as before. It was such a weird sensation, so new to me, and at the end I was really eager to go back home. I though that maybe, that was it for me, that I have completed the cycle and finally started missing my life in Madrid. That I had enough of traveling solo. It was also a sad feeling.

But life moves in misterious ways. Here I am again. I quit my job, packed my bag and took a one way ticket flight again to southeast Asia. This time, there wasn't the same things that moved me into take the decision. I already had had the experience of a long time travelling solo, this time I needed a break and a brand new start. I wanted to change things and I needed to feel at home away from home to understand all my reasons.

Here is a trip into my thoughts, a new version of this blog, used before as a tip guide for fellow travellers. I will keep on giving advice if you're happy to take it, but I would also try to open up a little bit and let you know what goes on in my head and, I believe, in many of the heads of you travellers.

1 comment: