Friday, February 24, 2017

Reality vs reality

Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia. 25Feb2017

Yesterday talking to some people at some point I mentioned 'well, I look totally different when I'm traveling' and the answer was 'everybody does'.
I didn't mean that I behave different , I do not have two different personalities, but the thing is that traveling around, you do things that you wouldn't even imagine back home.
I travel for hours in buses, I have done it even sitting on the floor. At first you couldn't even imagine that, 'people standing up? No way that's not safe', then you get so used to it that you really like it (but you get tired sometimes). 
I travel for hours in boats, spend hours waiting for flights connections and don't complain much when there are 5 hours delays.
You sometimes eat with your hands, most of the times you don't have a knife, just a spoon and a fork.
Toilet is mostly a hole in the ground, in guest houses and hostels the shower is in the middle of the bathroom )so everything around gets wet, no courtins here), sometimes your shower is a bucket.
You (almost) don't scream when you see a cockroach or a rat, sometimes even next to the place you're eating in. You get used to cockroaches in some bathrooms, rats in markets. It's normal.

You lose all sense of intimacy, boys see me in underware 5 minutes after meeting in hostel's dorms! ahaha (you get tired of covering up all time to change clothes when you share bedrooms).
You wear the same clothes for 2 or three days in a row, wear always flip flops shorts and bikini. You use only the clothes that are on top of your backpack, having packed too much even packing light (that is my case). You buy  2 euros t.shirts.

At home I go out for diner every weekend and during the week, and never mind about it, here you become gready with money, spending more than 3 euros for a meal seams a lot! Ahaha. You find yourself arguing for a discount on prices of 0.5 euros! But hey, the less you spend the longer yo get to travel.

You make friends with almost everyone who crosses your path and go out for beers or join them on your trip just after one short conversation (one of the best things of traveling solo).
You make even more selfies than when you're back home! Ahahaha.
You see more sunsets and sunrises than ever. 
You wake up early and you don't really mind. 

Some people say that 'real' life is the one you have at home,  that this is just a 'holiday', I have catched myself saying that too, but this is also real, so real that I love every minute of it, I crave for it when I'm home and gives me goose bumps when I am traveling.



1 comment: